My Health and Wellness Vision Statement
Published by: LifeWorks,
What would your life look like if you reached a health goal such as losing weight, stopping smoking, or getting regular exercise? Creating a health and wellness vision statement can help you picture it and help you achieve your goal as a result.
What is a health and wellness vision statement?
A health and wellness vision statement helps you see the big picture of your well-being. It describes your ideal state of physical and emotional health—your “best self”—and what it would look and feel like. It also helps you stay on track as you work towards making behavior changes day to day.
Here are a few examples of personal vision statements:
- “I would have more energy to do more things. I’d be able to go up and down stairs with ease and have the energy to work on my art and play with my toddler after work.”
- “I would take things in my stride instead of getting really stressed out and impatient. I would be able to stay calm during busy times at work.”
- “I would not smoke. And I’d feel better physically. Within a year I’d also be able to pay for a holiday with the money I’ve saved by giving up smoking.”
Remember that your personal statement is not set in stone but can change as your needs and circumstances change.
Creating your health and wellness vision statement
To develop a health and wellness vision, you’ll need to set aside a little time to think about your overall health—ideally when you can give the subject your undivided attention. You’ll also need a notebook or other place, such as on your phone or in your computer, for recording your thoughts.
- Write down the answers to these questions:
- What does the “ideal” or “best” version of me look like?
- What does the “best” me feel like?
- What am I doing in my ideal state of health and well-being?
You could include some of the reasons why your vision is important to you such as why you want to change and how you will benefit from reaching your goals.
If you have several health and wellness goals, think about what’s most important to you. It’s usually easier to reach goals if you focus on one to three small goals at a time instead of many large goals at once.
Next, ask yourself: What do I need to do to move toward my vision of my ideal self? List the next steps you want to take so that you can review them later on and add others that may be helpful.
Review your health and wellness vision statement regularly, at least four times a year. This will help you see progress, decide whether everything on your plan still matters, and identify your next steps.